Okay so you've decided to finally set up your Google Analytics account (good job!), now you need to copy your Google Analytics code, technically called your Tracking ID, and figure out where to put it on your website.
To find your Google Tracking ID follow these steps:
- Log in to your Google Analytics Account (analytics.google.com).
- Click on the gear icon at the bottom left side of the menu also titled 'Admin'.
- From the Admin menu click on 'Tracking Info' in the Property Menu (middle section).
- Then click on 'Tracking Code'.
- Your individual Tracking ID appears on this page and begins with the letters 'UA-' followed by 9 numbers. Example : UA-12345678-9.
For a quicker way to find your Google Analytics Tracking ID, from the home dashboard:
- At the top left side of the home dashboard screen click on 'All Website Data'.
- Your Tracking ID should appear just below your website name in the middle column under 'Properties & Apps'.
Where to Install Your Google Analytics Tracking Code
Now that you have your tracking ID / code you'll need to install it on your website in order for Google to start collecting and reporting data on your website's traffic and visitors. How to install your Google Analytics ID depends on which website host you are using.
Below are instructions for installing your tracking ID on some of the most common website hosts/content management systems.
Why You Need Google Analytics
Your website analytics, when used properly, are worth their weight in goal in terms of growing your business and brand online.
Even if you don't look at it for months after installing, do yourself and favor and make sure you install Google Analytics on your website. It's collecting data in the background without you having to do a thing. The more data you collect the more helpful it will be to your business. How? With Google Analytics you can:
Get to know your website audience (age, gender, hobbies, geographic location, and much more).
Understand what's working, and what's not, on your website.
Set goals for your website and actively grow your audience.
Collect more (and better) leads and email addresses.
Essentially providing you with the data you need to make smart choices about how to spend your time and marketing money to effectively grow your business. If it all seems to time consuming or complicated hire an expert (like me!) to help you decipher it.
Want to start using your analytics to grow your website and brand? Book an Analytics Review & Consult.